7 Quick and Easy Ways to Improve Your SEO Performance
by Brian Rideout • November 22, 2021
The most successful businesses in the world recognize the importance of SEO and make a concerted effort to improve their digital marketing results.
But a survey conducted by The Manifest showed only half of small businesses utilize SEO to improve their company’s visibility online. Which leaves a lot of opportunity for you.
If you want your business to stand out in the crowded internet economy, then you must prioritize your website’s SEO performance. However, you may not have enough time to spend learning the minute details of SEO. You may even think that SEO is incredibly boring and only want to know the basic rules and guidelines.
At BANG! Web Site Design, we do not think that SEO is boring. In fact, we get extremely excited diving into the granular details of SEO. We are constantly on the hunt for actionable SEO tips that will boost our client’s keyword rankings and improve their website traffic. Here are 7 quick and easy SEO tips that you can use to improve your visibility in organic search and obtain better SEO results.
1. Optimize Your Website ImagesMost people know to use their target keywords in page titles and meta descriptions. However, if you are not optimizing your website images for SEO, then you are missing out on an opportunity to improve your search engine results.
You should make sure to use the right keywords in your image filename, alt tags, titles, and captions. While you want to avoid keyword stuffing, you should absolutely use keywords that are relevant to the content topic and accurately describe the image.
If your content pages do not have any images, then you should consider adding some. As long as the picture relates to the page topic, then you are good. Amazingly, Google knows if the image on your page does not relate to the content. Their image recognition algorithm works better than you'd think!
Adding images is also a good way to improve the user experience and increase your analytics performance, particularly your average session duration and bounce rate.
2. Add Internal and External Links to Your Content PagesMany business owners do not have a lot of time to spend on their website’s SEO performance. If you are like most people, then you may do some quick research to find a good focus keyword and bang out the writing for a page as quickly as possible.
However, taking 10-15 extra minutes to add internal and external links to your content pages can make a world of difference. Internal links are a great way to help site visitors navigate to different parts of your website. They are also a great way to distribute the link authority on your website and give Google additional context about a specific page.
Similarly, external links are a great way to improve the link strength of your content pages and improve the authority of your content in Google’s eyes. If you are citing data or statistics, then you should link to the source where you got the information. Linking to trustworthy sources will add relevancy to your content and boost the importance of your content on the major search engines.
3. Focus on URL OptimizationA lot of website owners do not pay attention to the structure of their page URLs. If your page URLs are too long and have no relevance to the page topic, then site visitors will get confused and leave your website.
Search engines will also get confused and push your content further down the search results. Your page URLs act as informational signals that help search engines determine the focus of the page and its target audience. You must make sure that your URLs are easily readable and search engine friendly.
Additionally, you should include your focus keyword in the page URL whenever possible. In our experience, we have noticed our clients ranking well for a specific keyword because that keyword was listed in the page URL. When building a new website for your business, you should focus on URL structure and make sure your permalinks contain the right target keywords.
4. Acquire Sponsorship LinksOne of the most important aspects of SEO is building your website’s link profile and acquiring backlinks from high-authority websites. While this sounds easy enough, both beginners and experts in the SEO industry will tell you this is one of the most difficult aspects of the job. It is extremely hard to get other websites to link back to your onsite content.
Many small businesses will attempt to link build by paying for a large number of low-quality links. While this may seem like a good idea, the majority of websites will see their rankings drop significantly if they take this route.
Instead, it is much easier to acquire backlinks by looking for local partners for sponsorship opportunities. You can use services like SponsorMyEvent, SponsorPark, SponsorPitch and ZipSprout to help you find sponsorship opportunities in your local area. Local sponsorships are a great way to get backlinks from high-quality sources, get referral traffic to your website and improve your public relations outreach.
5. Use Bold TextAnother quick and easy way to improve your SEO performance is to use bold text within your content pages. Google’s John Mueller confirmed this in a Google Search Central SEO office-hours hangout recorded on November 12, 2021. He essentially said that bold text can help Google understand what is important on the page. If you want to emphasize a particular point or highlight a specific keyword, then you should bold it within the text.
However, he was quick to say that you should avoid bolding large chunks of content on a page. This will add no SEO value and could negatively impact the user experience. You should limit any bold text to the most important keywords or sentences on the page. Google will pay special attention to those bolded sections and give them a little more value.
6. Add Schema Markup to Your WebpagesIf you are like most business owners, then you probably do not have a ton of time to spend on your website content. In fact, you may not have even heard of the term schema markup.
Essentially, schema markup is code you can add to the backend of your webpage to provide context to your content and add additional information to your Google search results. It is a great way to make your webpages appear more prominently on the search engine results pages (SERPs) and help your business stand out from your competitors.
Here is a helpful introduction to schema markup that will get you started. You can take advantage of free tools from Google to help implement your schema markup, including the Rich Results Test and the Schema Markup Validator.
7. Refresh Your Current ContentIf you have a list of service pages and high-performing blog posts, then it is important to update them at least twice a year. Updating your old service pages and blog posts can help with your SEO rankings and improve your website traffic. It signals to Google that your content is relevant and may contain helpful information for the reader.
We recommend doing a quick competitor analysis to find any content gaps or missing keywords that exist within your webpages. You can also add any new research or statistics in your industry or company that will add to the authority of your content.
By refreshing your existing content, you will keep the search engines and readers engaged and invested in your website. It is also easier to refresh a content page or blog post than it is to write a brand new page. You can save a lot of time and energy by perfecting the content you already have and still get a significant SEO boost.
Boost Your SEO Performance With BANG! Web Site DesignIf your Phoenix business wants to increase your website traffic, which will then lead to more sales, then you should work on implementing the SEO tips listed above on your website.
However, if you would rather focus your attention elsewhere, then our Phoenix SEO company can do the work for you and boost your SEO performance.
Contact BANG! Web Site Design today at 602-427-5626 to schedule an initial consultation. We will take care of your website design needs and make sure your digital marketing campaign is top-notch.
Please review our website design and development portfolio to see if our services are right for your business.
About the Author
Brian Rideout, Chief Pixel Pusher of BANG! Web Site Design is an industry veteran (sounds better than old guy right?) who started building websites in 1996 when dial-up, modems, Netscape, and 640 x 480 resolution monitors with 256 colors were state of the art.
We stumbled into SEO by "accident" when we got a client ranked #2 on Yahoo (remember, this was the 90's) for an extremely competitive keyword phrase, and they sold out of all the products they had. With a little reverse engineering, we learned what Yahoo was looking for and applied our SEO experience to other clients and then to Google when they became the dominant search engine.
We continued to build websites for small business's in the Phoenix market as well as companies across the country. Our approach of "SEO 1st Website Design" has resulted in many businesses, particularly in the building trades such as contractors and plumbers, as well as law firms, to rank at the top of Google's results which keeps our clients supplied with a constant stream of new customers.
We continue to provide website design, website development, hosting, SEO services, and digital marketing for Phoenix companies. More information about the company can be found on our About Us page. Click the following link for examples of our award-winning website design work.